Salkantay offers you an impressive view of the Salkantay glacier and other peaks of the Vilcanota valley. A physical and mental challenge on the slopes of snow-capped mountains and ending in the cloud forest with the Inca citadel of Machupicchu.
Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Soraypampa
We started very early in Cusco and did not go first to Mollepata to have breakfast and then continue to Cruzpata, from where we started the first section of the walk until we reached Soraypampa (first camp) where we had lunch.
In the afternoon we will go to the mountain to visit the Humantay Lagoon, where we will appreciate this beautiful glacier and the lagoon that reflects this beautiful place, later we will return to our Soraypampa camp, where we will have dinner and spend the night.
Day 2: Soraypampa – Salkantay Pass – Chaullay
This will be the most demanding day, due to the ascent that will take us all morning until we reach the pass (4800 masl), during the journey we will appreciate the Salkantay snow, crops and the servant the llama, the alpaca and others. Arriving at the Collpabamba valley we will have lunch. Then we continue to Chaullay, where we spend the night in tents.
Day 3: Chaullay –La Playa – Santa Teresa
A hotter day awaits us, after breakfast we begin the descent to the beach, where the group has lunch and continue our way to Santa Teresa. This point is important because you can visit the spectacular Cocalmayo baths.
Day 4: Santa Teresa – Hydroelectric – Aguas Calientes
After breakfast, we start the walk to Hidroeléctrica, which will take approximately 3 hours. However, we suggest to maximize your experience with some adventure activity this morning and fill ourselves with adrenaline (ZIP LINE available). Arriving at the hydroelectric plant, the group joins again for lunch and we continue along the path of the rails to Aguas Calientes, where we have dinner and spend the night in an accommodation with all the facilities.
Night in accommodation
Day 5: Sunrise in Machu Picchu – return to Cusco
Today is the most important day of our trip, we start the walk at 04:30 in the morning towards the Inca citadel “Machu Picchu”. Your guide will take you to know the most important of this archaeological center, its treasures and secrets that are in every corner. In the afternoon we will return to the town of Aguas Calientes where we will board the train via Ollantaytambo, and then we will continue by car to Cusco.
Include / Not include
- Food: 04 breakfasts, 04 lunches, 04 dinners.
- Camping equipment: Sleeping tent for 4 people for every 2 people, personal mattresses.
- Muleteers who carry 5kg of free luggage (sleeping, matras and others).
- One night at a DWB hostel in Aguas Calientes (Hot Water, Wifi).
- Entrance to Machu Picchu.
- Return Tourist Train Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
- Return bus Ollantaytambo to Cusco
- First aid kit.
- Oxygen balloon.
- Bus from Cusco to Mollepata.
- Official Tourism Guide (English and Spanish).
- Sleeping bag for the first night, the coldest and the highest point of camping.
- Trekking poles
- Bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu (Optional)
- Bus from Playa Sahuayaco – Hidroeléctrica ** to schedule 4d / 3n
- Breakfast on the 1st day – Lunch on the 4th day in Aguas Calientes.
- Entrance fees to the hot springs (10 Nuevos Soles).
- Extra horse for riding or for any extra backpack.
- Expenses not mentioned.
We Recommend to Bring:
- 21 liter backpack.
- Trekking boots must be water resistant (recommended).
- Warm clothes at night.
- Rain clothes.
- Cap or Hat.
- Long pants, we do not recommend wearing jeans, Various polo shirts.
- Small towel.
- Hot spring bathing suit in Aguas Calientes
- Personal items (Toilet paper, tissues, Hand sanitizers, Sunscreen)
- Repellent for insects.
- Plastic poncho for rain.
- Medicine and / or articles for personal use (liquid for contact lenses).
- Snacks: cookies, energy bars, chocolate, fruits, muesli, water, purifying tablets.
- Original passport (for the entrance control to Machu Picchu).
- Have on hand checks and coins in small denominations dollars, euros or soles.
- Photographic camera or video camera.